?

Lets Chat Poultry, Chickens, Waterfowl, Gamefowl, At The Poultry World - The Walton Hatch Gamefowl History

About The Walton Hatch Gamefowl History

Previous Entry The Walton Hatch Gamefowl History Oct. 23rd, 2005 @ 09:51 pm Next Entry

The Walton Hatch Gamefowl History

by H Duff

Henry Wortham was working for Jack Walton at the time that Jack decided to sell out. Henry knew Manuel Massey who was feeding for Paul Harvey, a professional wager from Odessa, Texas. Henry asked Manuel to form a plan with him in order to get Paul to buy the fowl. Manuel talked Paul into purchasing 12 cocks from Jack. Henry tied pieces of string on the cages of 12 double barrel aces.

Ehen Paul and Manuel selected the 12 cocks, Manuel picked only the ones with strings on their cages that Henry planted.

This was unknown to both Jack Walton and Paul Harvey.

After the 12 cocks were selected by Manuel, Jack told Paul that he didn't know about his feeding ability but he selected the 12 best cocks he owned, besides the brood cocks! Manuel got he cocks ready for the Sunset tournament. They won easily. Paul Harvey and Manuel won several other big tournaments shortly thereafter. This made Paul and Massey the top cock fighter that year.

This all happened in 1952. The wins convinced Paul to purchase the rest of Jack Walton's fowl. Paul paid Jack the sum of $20,000.Paul Harvey hired professional union carpenters to build pens for the fowl. Carpenters worked around the clock getting the pens on Paul's estate ready.

When the pens were completed, Paul and Massey drove to Dallas with boxes for the cocks and u-haul trailers for the hens and little ones.

During this time Henry was selling to others some good Walton Hatch to others unknown to Paul. I had heard that some of these cockfighters were Clarence Stewart, Ray Hoskins, Richard Bates, and the Everette brothers of Hood County red fame. Harold Wells ended up with the "Bone Crusher" cock that was one of the original 12 cocks. Harold started a family of Bone Crushers that became a major force at the Jal, NM pit ran by Tommy Booth.

Over a period of 20 to 30 years. Paul Harvey sold many Walton Hatch. At the time he decided to sell all of the Walton Fowl. Bill Patterson bought the best of what he had left. Bill still raises and fights the Walton Hatch fowl. I have also had a few of this splendid old time , hard hitting, never quit, bone crushing fowl.

The Walton hatch if inbred over a long period of time will come spangle with pea colored legs, red eyes, and large bones. Their temperament is nasty. The Waltons will put gameness and hitting power into any breed. Also they will add bone size if your breed is coming small.

To finish the story Paul Harvey bought the Percy Flowers blue face bloodline and continued to win derbies until his death. Bill Lisenbee purchased the remaining Blueface fowl at Paul's death. If you ever owned a Walton Hatch you will never stop breeding a few because of their gameness and tremendous power.

More Gamefowl History

The Gamefowl World

Leave a comment
From:hoskins21
Date:March 2nd, 2007 02:42 am (UTC)

Ray Hoskins Reds and Greys

(Link)
I have been told that during 1960's through the 1980's that Ray Hoskins reds and greys were the finest and most powerful gamecock breeds in the USA. Can you give me any information on this gentleman and what kind of history he has, plus I understand he was as big as or maybe bigger in the fighting and shipping in the USA than Duke Hulsey, and all the names I see mentioned in your articles. I have found a lot of info. on Ray Hoskins in Gamecock, grit and steel magazines but I never see anything on your reports about the game cock business and the men in the sport now and back then. any info would be appreciated.
From:ghoskins21
Date:October 6th, 2010 04:21 am (UTC)

Ray Hoskins History

(Link)
Sir You may contact me on anything about Ray Hoskins, I am Gene Hoskins I am the only son plus my sister Joyce Hoskins Solis are the only Son & Daughter that Ray Hoskins had.My Mother was Doris Hoskins my fathers 1st wife. He did get remarried after her death, to Helen Hoskins, We all live here in Texas(Seagoville, Texas). You or anyone else intersted in the history of Ray Hoskins, you are welcome to contact me..Thank you or anyone else who is interested in the breeder of the most beautiful, gamest, strongest, best bloodline & highest flying killers in the game cock pit. Again Thank you for your inquirey. Gene Hoskins: E-mail: ghoskins21@yahoo.com. plus I am on Face book.